What is this course?
Ana B'Khoach is an ancient mystical chant, used by many great Kabbalists, that encodes the mysterious 42-letter name of God.
In this online course, taught by Rabbi Ruth Gan Kagan, we will explore the power of this chant like spiritual detectives, discovering a new layer of meaning in each class that relates to our own daily lives.
As we study and chant Ana B’Khoach together, we will encounter deep insights into the nature of reality and a wealth of mystical and kabbalistic practices, ranging from simple ones for everyday use, to advanced ones for those who are further on along the mystical path.
Chanting Ana B'Khoach was suggested as a practice by the great Kabbalist R' Isaac Luria (the Arizal) and we will walk in his path, learning to sing its words with a different niggun (tune) in each class.
The course will include guidance and opportunities to create your own spiritual tools through creative writing and visual art, as well as techniques for using the chant to enrich your practices of prayer, shamanic journeying and spiritual ascent.
Come and experience, through texts, imagery, chanting and inner attunement how to invite Ana B'Khoach to be a part of your own spiritual growth.
How does it work and when does it happen?
Ana B’Khoach - Kabbalistic Secrets of Ascent is a ten-classs journey.
The classes are recorded (audio and video) and participants can watch or listen to the recordings of the classes at any time they like.
In each class, our community will study and experience a new aspect of Ana B'Khoach.
Each class includes:
1) A video class with Rabbi Ruth. Each class is 90 minutes long and participants are invited to watch or listen to the recordings at their own convenience.
2) Handouts with original source material, translated from the Hebrew or Aramaic into English. The source material will be thoroughly explained in each class.
3) Instructions and guidance for spiritual practices relating to the content of each class.
4) An online forum where students can converse, share about their practice, and post questions to the group.
"I have had the pleasure of studying with Reb Ruth Gan Kagan twice. Her classes are engaging for both the intellect and spirit with her generous curated selection of source material that is artfully woven together with assignments and reflective opportunities to apply mystical teachings to everyday spiritual practice."
- Gabrielle Pescador, Rabbinical Student, Ann Arbor MI
"Reb Ruth’s mastery over the texts and concepts of our mystical tradition is obvious. But her teaching has a way of moving those words from the page right into your cells, so that you leave enriched and deepened. You don’t learn about mysticism, you begin to embody it. And this she achieves with simple good humor, encouragement, the benefit of personal experience and an infectious openness to the unknown."
- Irwin Keller, Rabbinical Student, California
"Rabbi Ruth is a deep wisdom teacher. I take every opportunity I can to study with her."
- Rabbi David Curiel, Somerville