What is this course?
From Rabbi Ruth Gan Kagan:
For many years now I have developed a deep connection to the Ba'al Shem Tov (Besht), the founder of Chasidic Judaism, and his teachings. I find in them profound guidance for my own spiritual quest, and for those I teach. The oral teachings of this Jewish shaman/medicine man (this is what it means to be a "ba'al shem"), are gems of transformative wisdom, and are often full of surprises.
Of the many ideas which the Besht originated, I have chosen some of my most beloved teachings which are linked to spiritual practices. You are invited to practice them between classes or keep the teachings in your hearts to use when the right time arrives...
Classes will incorporate the four worlds (levels of consciousness) of the holistic Chasidic system: Stories, Niggun, Torah and Prayer/Silence.
I invite you to share with me this adventure of walking the path of a timeless Master.
How does it work and when does it happen?
Walking the Spiritual Practices of the Besht is a ten-week journey, which will take place on Mondays, starting January 27th at 9 am Pacific / 12 pm Eastern / 5 pm UK / 7 pm Israel, for 60 minutes.
Anyone who cannot make any class online can watch or listen to the recording of it at any time they like. Upon registering for a course, you will be emailed all the relevant dates.
In each class, our community will study and experience a new teaching by the Besht.
Each class includes:
1) A live online video class with Rabbi Ruth. Each class is 60 minutes long and participants are invited to participate live or watch or listen to the recordings at their own convenience.
2) Handouts with original source material, translated from the Hebrew or Aramaic into English. The source material will be thoroughly explained in each class.
3) Instructions and guidance for spiritual practices relating to the content of each class.
4) An online forum where students can converse, share about their practice, and post questions to the group.
I have had the pleasure of studying with Reb Ruth Gan Kagan twice. Her classes are engaging for both the intellect and spirit with her generous curated selection of source material that is artfully woven together with assignments and reflective opportunities to apply mystical teachings to everyday spiritual practice.
- Gabrielle Pescador, Rabbinical Student, Ann Arbor MI
Reb Ruth’s mastery over the texts and concepts of our mystical tradition is obvious. But her teaching has a way of moving those words from the page right into your cells, so that you leave enriched and deepened. You don’t learn about mysticism, you begin to embody it. And this she achieves with simple good humor, encouragement, the benefit of personal experience and an infectious openness to the unknown
- Irwin Keller, Rabbinical Student, California
Please contact Rabbi Ruth if you have any questions about the course, or to try a class for free.
Click here to register.