What is this course?
The Sefirot of the Tree of Life are the primary map of existence used in Kabbalah. The Sefirot are often described as attributes of the Divine, or gateways, through which the Divine brings existence into being. The Sefirot can also be understood as archetypes or character traits, which we can identify and refine in our own selves.
In this online course, taught by Rabbi Daniel Silverstein, we will explore the Sefirot in theory and practice, learning how they were understood by several generations of Kabbalists, and how they may manifest in our internal lives, relationships, creative or vocational pursuits.
Together, we will explore the invitations for growth and healing that each Sefirah holds, according to our mystical texts, and according to our own unfolding experience of life.
All texts are provided with clear line-by-line translations, and no prior knowledge or experience with the subject matter is necessary.
How does it work?
Introduction to Kabbalah: The Sefirot of the Tree of Life is an 8-class journey.
The classes are recorded (audio and video) and participants can watch or listen to the recordings of the classes at any time they like.
Each class includes:
1) A printable handout of Jewish textual sources providing a broad and deep perspective of each of the Sefirot in Torah, Midrash, Talmud, Kaballah and Chasidut, provided in full translation with introductory comments and guiding questions.
2) A recorded class, in which Rabbi Daniel provides background information, explanation, close reading, critical analysis and practical ideas for applying the teachings in our day-to-day lives.
3) Clear and down-to-earth practice instructions for developing our relationship with each of the Sefirot, with the goal of refining our character traits and becoming more whole. These include unique prompts for each of the 49 ways that the 7 lower sefirot interact with one another, and offer inspiration for contemplation, writing, singing, visual art or any other medium that allows for creative expression.
4) An open channel to the teacher, to process the journey through the teachings and practices of each class.
The Eight Sessions
The course consists of 8 online classes.
The first class will introduce the subject. We will first explore what the Sefirot are, according to our key mystical texts, and how we might relate to them in down-to-earth language related to our own experience.
We will then proceed to delve into the higher Sefirot of Keter (Crown / Will), Chochmah (Wisdom), Binah (Understanding) and Da'at (Knowledge / Awareness), in theory and practice.
The remaining 7 classes will focus on the 7 lower Sefirot, which manifest most fully in this world.
1) Chesed - loving-oneness, kindness, generosity, expansiveness, love.
2) Gevurah - severity, judgement, boundaries, discipline, measure, restraint.
3) Tiferet - beauty, harmony, compassion, truth.
4) Netzach - endurance, triumph, persistence, eternity.
5) Hod - splendor, glory, gratitude, humility.
6) Yesod - foundation, integrity, bonding, sharing.
7) Malchut - sovereignty, womb, integration, manifestation of something new.
"The course was expertly planned and delivered by Rabbi Daniel which really helped me to grasp the meaning of each of the Sefirot. I also found the daily practises to be a useful tool for self-reflection and a way of further developing my understanding of the course content."
- Stephen Low
"My numerous experiences studying with Rav Daniel have given me immense benefits both immediately and in the long-term. When learning with Rav Daniel, I feel the inner peace and joy that comes with learning from a teacher who is scholarly, spiritual, and down-to-earth. I have also gleaned extremely useful tools in learning how to approach Jewish texts and tradition and how to bring meditative spiritual practice into my life, all in a loving and open-minded way. Thank you so much."
- Shira Sacks
"Learning with Rav Daniel is a wonderful experience. In his classes he brings an extraordinary range of texts from our tradition and makes them meaningful for our lives today. His deep personal integrity, wisdom and spirituality constantly inspire me to walk the Jewish spiritual path and help me with my own awakening and development."
- Rabbi Danny Newman, Founder & Director, HaMakom